October 23, 2014

Monday Oct. 20, 2014

Quote of the week:

Neophyte: A person new to a group or religious practice.
So the Lamanites who repent and are baptized are (wait for it...) Neophyte Nephites! 

This week was pretty much full of miracles.

We're developing a really good relationship with the W. Family (less active). We always visit when she's making dinner so it can be crazy, but we decided to tell scripture stories to get the whole family involved. We told the story of the 2000 stripling warriors and it was so good!! It reminded Bro W. of another story (not from the Book of Mormon... but it means he was listening!) and somehow we got on the topic of Star wars. So our challenge to them was to find a star wars story that would relate to the Book of Mormon. Haha. We'll see how that goes :)

M. & A. Them folks are great! We had a kinda intense lesson with them on Friday. We were on an exchange so Sister Adorable wasn't with me... which is always hard. We teach really well together. Anyway. We were working on setting a date for baptism and a couple of things came up. One of which was the Word of Wisdom. A. likes her tea and coffee every once in a while. And Sabbath Day observance. M.  works at a church on Sunday. And after we taught about not working on Sunday, he began to realize that his work, even though it was at a church... is work. He feels torn about leaving because he's doing so much good there and doesn't want to leave them.

I realized how similar I am to him. I talked to them about the decisions I'm facing with school. I don't want to think about it, but the truth of the matter is, January is going to come and I need to have made decisions that will determine that chapter in my life. Going home doesn't mean that my mission wasn't right, or wasn't worth the time, or that I didn't make an impact, or that I will forget the lessons I've learned or people I've met when I move on to that next step. It just means that the Lord will need me elsewhere. M. made a comment that he's been thinking similarly. January is coming whether he likes it or not, and at that point church start time will change to 9am and he'll have to choose between this or that.

Last week Sister Adorable super-powerfully promised them that as they observe the commandments that we teach, they will receive an answer for sure. So I brought that up again. I don't even remember how it all went down. I just remember inviting them to strictly keep those commandments and when they did, that's when they'll receive their answer. I asked A. to stop drinking tea and coffee. And I asked M. to quit his job. I remember walking away from the lesson... scared. I didn't want them to be offended. But I knew that those were promptings and I'm here do the will of the Lord. I thought of all the people that came soooo close to baptism and at the last minute turned away. And then I remembered something that M. said in one of our lessons, "You don't dwell on the things you don't know. But you always testify of what you do know. I don't know if I have received my answer, but I do know that I have felt more peace in my life since we've met y'all." When his words came to mind, I shut out the negative thoughts. And I focused on what I do know. I know that we are here for them specifically. I know that the Lord loves them. I know that I love them. I know how I have found happiness. And I know that my purpose is to help them find that same happiness. And even though I was worried on Friday night, Sunday came and they both were at church. I am so grateful for the power of the Spirit. And the knowledge that I'm not on my own errand, but His. We're seeing them again tonight :)

All day Friday I had been making lots of phone calls trying to fill Saturday morning with a fun activity for Sister Castleton since she was visiting my area on exchanges. To no avail. So I asked her if she happened to bring a pair of pants and her service shirt. She had! So we set out Saturday morning "Service Tracting." Basically we just tract in pants and a tshirt offering to do service. I don't know what feeling was more overwhelming, the excitement of being able to fit in my jeans, or the discomfort of the jeans themselves. Who needs 'em?! Haha.

Anyway. We prayed about a certain road and started driving there. It was in a developing neighborhood and the street was reeeeally long. No houses for a good bit. We got to the end of this loooong street and there were 2 houses. Two. I looked at Sister Castleton and I was like, "Well. I guess one of these 2 people really needs help!" We knocked on the first door and we saw a little girl run up the stairs... no answer. So we walked over to the 2nd house and a woman was pulling out of her driveway. Greeeat. We walked up to her window and we were like, "Hey! We're missionaries and we're in the area just to serve! If you need any help with raking leaves or cleaning the house or..." She looked at us with wide eyes, "Are you serious?" "Yeah..." "I'm just on my way to buy some paint for the garage." "Really?! We love to paint! Can we help?!" Yes. Yes that just happened. She asked us to come back in an hour to start painting with her. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord! Can I get an Amen? Haha. We came back and met the lady who was so excited to have us there! At the end of our painting extravaganza she asked us what we wanted for pay. We just asked for a return appt to talk about the Gospel and she said, "That would be awesome. I've been trying to get closer to God lately and have been wondering how I can do that." Miracle! :) We're going to see her tomorrow. Super stoked.

Wow. I don't think I've written this much in a long time. Heavenly Father is good to me. I see miracles every day. I know it's true! :)

Sis Jacobs

Painting for service. The dark color is the new one. :)

Halloween Dinner at a member's home. Meatloaf and potatoes! Mmmm!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment