August 11, 2014

Aug. 11, 2014 - Buford, Georgia

Quote of the week: "Grass. It's the wet wipe of nature"

What a miracle week!

My new companion is Sis Adorable and I love her!!!! She is just the best! She just spend the last 9 months of her mission in the same Spanish area, and now she's back to English again! We've both grown a lot from when we met the MTC. I'm glad that we're companions

Our investigators J and M are doing well! Still reading and praying and desiring to learn truth! It's been good. The member we brought with us this time knows one of their sons because he went to high school with her son. Go connections! The Spirit is so awesome. She was waaaay stressed before coming out with us and we almost told her not to worry about it, but after the lesson she told us that it must've been Satan trying to keep her from going because they needed her and she needed them.

Our investigator M. is a rockstar! She's been taking lessons off and on for like 5 years. Her main fellowshipper in the ward moved to Utah so she just told us about M and asked us to check on her every once in a while. The last few lessons, we've gone waaaay back to basics and talked about recognizing the Spirit and acting on those promptings. The lessons have been pretty powerful. It's simply up to her to act.

Another investigator G!! He's great!! We haven't been able to actually sit down with him since last week, but we've been texting him scriptures of the day from the Book of Mormon. And wait. So has he!!! He picked a scripture that he felt brought him a lot of peace and texted it to us so we could have a spiritual boost, too! It was fantastic! He's excited to learn more about how church services are organized and stuff. Cool guy. Way cool.

On Friday and Sat we had some meetings and a couple of other sisters from another zone spent the night with us. We all just happened to love singing. Sooo we decided to go tract singing! We grabbed our mini hymn books, opened up to Hymn #26 and went on our way! The first door we knocked on, a guy in his early 30's answered. "Hi. We're missionaries and we're actually going around tonight singing. Do you mind if we sing y'all a song?"

"Yeah! Actually. My Dad sang barbershop! He'd love to hear y'all. Just a sec"

After a few seconds, his dad and his mom came to the door. We sang the first and last verses of Joseph Smith's first prayer and the Spirit was so strong on that doorstep. We kept talking to them and got to share quite a bit. It was a powerful experience. They asked us to sing one more song before we left and we chose 'Nearer my God to Thee'. One of my favs. One of them sang with us! It was so great. They are so excited to learn more. And we are so excited to sing the next few lessons! Haha.

You know. I actually had a really cool experience last week. I don't think about post mission life a lot, but last Sunday a sister in the ward mentioned how her son was coming home from his mission and I thought, "Oh my gosh. That really happens. What am I gonna do about paying for school? Will I keep studying the same thing? How am I going to..." I stopped the thoughts, took a deep breath and felt the impression, "Use your voice. I will take care of you." That taught me a lot. I can't do much. But the talents and abilities we each have are given to us specifically to help build the Lord's kingdom on the Earth. For me, it's my built-in music box. Others are so good at listening. Or serving. Or being selfless. Or what ever else. He expects us to use those talents. And if we use them, how can we fail? I presume we cannot

Speaking of singing. Sister Bennion (the mission president's wife) is starting up the mission choir! We had our first practice Saturday morning and I just died of happiness. A year is far too long to go without singing in a choir. Every time I think about the timing of my life, and of being here, I am amazed. Father in Heaven is in the details of our lives. He really is

Love y'all lots!
~Sister Jacobs

PS. The Post office isn't gonna let the mission office forward mail to us any more. So for at least the next 6 weeks my address is:
Sister Ashley Jacobs
4078 Tiffany Rae Cove
Buford, GA 30519
Sister Adorable & Sister Jacobs in Buford, GA

No comments:

Post a Comment